Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Ye Olde Christchurch

Christchurch, the largest city on the South Island at about 330,000, is said to have a very British ambiance, with both British names and traditions prevailing around every corner. The Avon River (or River Avon, I should say), meanders through the middle of town, surrounded by picturesque willows and oaks along the banks, ducks swimming through and gondolas/punts floating by with enchanted tourists and locals being swept away into another place. The surrounding schools and Botanic(al) Gardens all fit into the English scheme with their traditional architecture and the Cathedral Square in the middle of town with an olde English church. The city surroundings are nothing spectacular, but arriving in the city, it does have a quaint, pleasant feel. The streets are flat and easily walkable, and the river appears again and again around every corner, providing nice greenery in contrast to the buildings. In fact, many of the workers yesterday were out laying on the grass along the river, eating lunch and enjoying the sunny day. I decided that while in the city, I'd stay in a hostel for the night for a chance to have a nice shower or two and recharge my cameras. I struggled to find some parking and precariously parallel parked Willy along the road, hoping he'd still be there when I got back.

I started along the river towards the centre of town, and I soon saw what had to be a mirage. Along the backside of some office buildings, I saw the sign, clear as day - The Burrito Company. Surely, it couldn't be. I quickly moved in for a closer look, and it was too good to be true. Being a tourist city, it was a recreation of Willy's or Moe's or Chipotle back home. I was ecstatic. I entered the place with a smile on my face and a rumble in my stomach. The prices were comparable and the quality actually wasn't too bad. I'd been craving this for so long that anything close would do (like Mince tacos), but this was great. It was so good, in fact, that I considered going back for dinner, but I missed the closing by about an hour. The only thing lacking was cilantro/coriander, but I can't be too picky. Finding that place immediately made this city noteworthy. I also found an ice cream shop next door with strawberry and dark chocolate with a unmentioned fudge ripple as a treat inside, so I couldn't have been more contented, foodwise. With a full stomach, I wandered around the city, spending time in the square and following the river into the Botanic Gardens full of native and imported flora, some of the trees changing colours and losing their leaves as I walked along the banks of the river. Making a few more stops, I headed back, just missing my burrito dinner, so I settled for some pesto and noodles instead, not a bad fall back. It was getting late in the city, and I headed home, apparently not through the nicest part of town. I saw a few people on the corners that looked to be "Women of the Night," and it turns out that I was right. Not looking too bad from far away, a somewhat scary face close up asked if "I was looking for some company tonight," so I sped up and got back to the hostel within a few minutes.

The dorm rooms in the hostel had been sold out, so for a dollar or two more, I got a 'shared' room with just three beds, so I was looking forward to a nice restful night. As it turns out, the other guy in the room with me turns out to be a loud, frequent snorer, so I woke a few times to the rhythmic sound of his over-pronounced breathing before rummaging through the dark to find a pair of earplugs that I happened to have in my bag. They helped drown out the cacophony a bit, but it was still evident, so I wasn't too sad to get up and leave the place early in the morning. I'll most likely just wander around the city for a few more hours as I typically do, get a burrito on the way out of town and head North from here, not really knowing where the next stop will be...

(The Avon River, just outside of the main square and, more importantly, The Burrito Company)

(A very English building along the river)

(Part of Cantebury College at the edge of the Botanic Gardens. The male students have uniforms of long gray socks, black shorts, white shirt, black and white horizontally striped ties and a pinstriped black jacket)

(Some of the dahlias of the Botanic Gardens)

(Another British scene outside one of the main theaters and the Arts Centre)

0 comments:

Copyright © Derek's Travels | Published By Blogger Templates20

Design by Anders Noren | Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com