Sunday, October 5, 2008

Camel Ride

More details to come later...

After our first night at the dunes, we got set for another big adventure - a four hour camel ride through the desert. Using Bactrian (two humped) camels, it was fairly comfortable, and they are more smooth than horses, probably because they're lazy, but I can sympathize. They are a bit smelly, but again, I can also sympathize after being in the desert without a shower for days.



(I got up early enough to watch the sun rise over the dunes, though I felt a little bad that it wasn't more spectacular, as Erwin and Ingo both joined me for the early morning. Sorry, but I can't control the weather, guys. Idiots.)

(Once again, the dunes of Khongoryn Els. These are actually known as the Singing Sands, due to the sound that they supposedly make when the wind blows over the sand. I think they are a bit shy because they never sang for us.)


(Suited up on our camels and ready to go. I named my camel Bob. He seemed to prefer the sprint ahead, wait, eat some vegetation while being yelled at and then catch up again method.)

(This was one of our food stops before Bob decided it was time to catch up.)


(There we are, taking our time across the hot sand.)


(He couldn't resist this tasty shrub. Check out my sweet sun protection - a t-shirt hanging under my hat. High tech, effective and fashionable. I had it all.)

(Erwin and Ingo make their way past. By the way, Erwin regretted not wearing pants later, as that "old camel" smell is hard to get rid of.)

(Our guide, who I nicknamed Rambo thanks to his bandanna and sunglasses, takes a break among the camels.)


(Back on top of the dunes, ready to start making ads for Adidas, if they fund my travels. I have to admit that Erwin first had this idea, though he did New Balance, so I wasn't copying.)

(The last bits of sun over the sand, meaning that it was time to come down for dinner.)

(So we did...this time it was Ingo, Frauke, Aafke, Erwin and me climbing the dune, as we spoke so highly of it the day before when just Erwin, Jenny and I climbed it. I'm so persuasive.)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Copyright © Derek's Travels | Published By Blogger Templates20

Design by Anders Noren | Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com