Sunday, October 5, 2008

Trans-Mongolian Express

More details to come later....
I took the 30 hour train from Beijing to Ulanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia, going from two of China's biggest cities to the least densely populated country in the world. Fortunately, the train ride went well, and my roommate was a nice Mongolian girl whose uncle had lived in Atlanta for 6 months and gave me lots of insight into the local culture.


(Our train ready to leave the station in Beijing.)

(The Mongolian language uses Cyrillic, hence the Russian feel.)


(My original room, which was commandeered by the workers who moved us to another room just down the hall. It includes two beds and a nice little chair. Not too bad.)

(Me and Saruul, my new friend, a few hours before arriving in Ulanbaatar. I just noticed this, but apparently we matched nicely. Maybe we planned it.)

(A view from the train window of one of the few rivers and sets of trees that we saw.)

(Everyone I met in Mongolia was very helpful. This is my taxi driver asking a random young woman on the side of the road for directions to my hostel. After about three of these episodes, we finally found it...well, I found it. He gave up and dropped me at a nearby corner.)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Copyright © Derek's Travels | Published By Blogger Templates20

Design by Anders Noren | Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com